Friday, July 16, 2010

Water, 7/13

Water is a divine thing, but because it is common in the commercial world, its divinity is not recognized. It is simply there, like the way asphalt is there beneath car tires. But when not harnessed into a state of thereness, it has an agency of its own. Tom Robbins said water invented humans as an expedited means of transportation. A woman I worked with painted hearts on her water bottles because she believed that the clear creature is an embodiment of love. Scientists study the mystery in the language of ice crystals. And now I have had my own engagement with the spectral being. For hundreds of miles I walked across frozen water, morphed into ridges and valleys, and I stepped on settlements of thousands of crystals. I walked through creeks and rivers constantly, hating every minute of wet feet because of the busy flow, one ripple after another. I used to fall asleep in a fortress of fear, because wherever I was, I heard water running, running and never resting, even when I was. And now as I walk on sand and rocks and the dry corners of this Earth that have not been loved for a long time, I think of ice cubes in my water and blue glacial lakes and lovely energetic creeks. What a clever opponent he can be.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michael,
    Greetings from your Uncle D. and Aunt J.

    We love reading your blog and viewing the photos. We're vacationing in North Cascades Nat'l Park. The trail we were hiking on yesterday was part of the PCT. We looked south, but couldn't quite see far enough to spot you. But it was nice to think we were on the same trail.

    All the best,
    D. and J.

    ReplyDelete